Thursday, September 11, 2008

Taking care of business


Kathmandu 002
Originally uploaded by susiebarber
My Romanian friends arrived at the guest house last night -- it's always so good to see familiar faces. We first met on the bus to Chitwan, sat together on the bus to Pokhara, and saw each other in Pokhara when I wasn't sick. We had a good talk last night, had breakfast together this morning, and then they were off to the airport. They're heading to Bhutan for a bit before returning to Nepal. I'll be gone before they return. I'll miss them! It's funny how you get close to people in very short time periods when you're half way around the world on your own.

I went to the store and stocked up on the basics today (shampoo, conditioner, kleenex, etc.). This was the first time I've actually had to buy those types of things. It's much cheaper here, but I couldn't find my brands. I'm sure my hair will survive, but I'll probably have some pretty bad hair days between now and when I return.

Also, I was a little panicked that I had used all of the cipro the US doc had given me to take on my trip. What happens if I get sick again? Well, they sell it in the grocery store. 10 pills of the same dosage that I was prescribed (and I was only given 2) came in a package that cost 120 rupee. That's not even $2. Ironically, I couldn't buy any more immonium there. I have to go to a pharmacy for that. Go figure.

The rest of the day will be spent shopping for a few items. I need to replace my sunglasses that got stepped on a week ago, so Sarita is taking me to a store that has good glasses at cheap prices. I'm also gonna do the souvenier thing. Tomorrow is all about collecting my laundry, shipping things home, exchanging money and packing because Saturday morning (Friday night your time) it's off to Jordan. I'm hoping to be healthy and have some energy by then. I'm going to need it because I'll be on the move a lot there. Right now, all I want to do is take a nap.

1 comment:

Ippoc Amic said...

I'm glad you're better. I'm walking around outside now, and that's good. Have fun in Egypt, and a tour sounds like a great idea. Warnings at the beginning of a tour book must be heeded.