Friday, September 5, 2008

The Jungle


Well, I was woken this morning at dawn so that I could eat breakfast and start a trek through the jungle. I met my guide and we (along with another guide to bring up the rear) were off in a canoe down the river and across to the park. We managed to see 2 rhinos in the grass across a watering hole, a wild boar, a couple of monkeys and lots of bugs. Oh yeah, and I got 3 leeches picked off of me. The head guide got 2. After a couple of hours, we headed back to the resort.

I was asked if I wanted to help bathe an elephant. Absolutely! So I put on a swimsuit with a pair of shorts and a tank top and headed to the river bank. There was a beautiful Asian elephant waiting for me. This one was a 40 year old male and I just can't pronounce his name. I was told to stand in front of him, look him in the eyes and grab both of his ears. When I did that, he put his trunk up for me to step on. I did and he hoisted me over his head and onto his neck. Nevermind that I was facing backwards and had to turn around. Anyway, we went down into the river and he started spraying me over his shoulder. Then he would duck down into the water and roll from side to side. Eventually, I fell off with a big splash. He sprayed me again and it was on. I was splashing him in the face and he was spraying. It was a total water fight. The handler was smart enough to get out of the way and let us play. I was actually with the elephant in the river for about an hour. He was pretty damned clean by the time that we were done, but I was sticky (the water was muddy) and needed a real shower. But a ton of fun. And this elephant had no chains and the handler didn't use his stick at all -- just voice commands. As it should be.

I've finished lunch and am meandering for a bit. In about an hour I have a jungle safari on an elephant. Supposedly the animals are not afraid of the elephants despite their size and I stand a much better chance of seeing many more than this morning.

Internet access here is slow, expensive and unreliable. I'll upload photos tomorrow after I arrive in Pokara. I can't wait to get out of the heat!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved the picture of you washing the elephant.
And, I have always wanted to be lifted onto ones back.
It looks like so much fun.

dolffun said...

Hi Susie,
What a wonderful experience to bathe an elephant! Going on safari on elephant back is very special, too.

Glad the elephants aren't on chains there. Do the mahouts sleep next to the elephants at night?

Beth

Dawn said...

I can't imagine bathing an elephant. You must have to be really present for that. Wow.