Sunday, September 14, 2008

I've become one of those people


The Red Sea
Originally uploaded by susiebarber
Yup. Just what I feared. I'm now on a tour and it's a bit of a drag. First of all, there are 4 Aussies and myself. And the driver and guide. I'm the only one under the age of 55 except for the guide, but he spends most of his time texting his friends. We are on a giant air conditioned Mercedes bus and are staying in big hotels with all the amenities. Every time I look at the tour bus, I feel like I've aged like 25 years and am retired. And once we're in the hotel, you could be anywhere. The decoration is very generic and I feel like I'm in the States. But at least the rooms are clean (that was a definite problem in India). This arrangement makes it very hard to meet the locals. That was something that I've been good at since embarking on this journey and I feel like I may leave the Middle East without seeing how the people live. Or making any friends.

The two single Aussie ladies (and there's a married couple as well) found a guy who's willing to take us out on a glass bottom boat in the morning to see some reefs. We're going to do that after breakfast and before swimming in the sea. We don't leave the hotel for our night in the Bedoin camp in the desert until noon, so we'll have plenty of time.

I'd be outside now, but it's really hot. I mean really, really hot. Like 110 degrees hot. So I'm waiting for the sun to go down to take a swim. And eat dinner.

2 comments:

Ippoc Amic said...

110 is hot!

dolffun said...

Glad you had a good time in Nepal despite the intrigue of meeting a "journalist".

Maybe you could edit your blog to say you feel like you are with people over 60! Remember, i'm over 55 now... and not old! ok...just kidding. age is relative. As with most of my friends, "old" is always a few years older than whatever age i currently am on the calendar.

Looking forward to hearing more about Jordan...maybe you'll meet the american-born queen there...