Friday, September 19, 2008

Jerash


Jerash 052
Originally uploaded by susiebarber
Today was our final day in Jordan, so we took the 45 minute drive north of the city to Jerash. Jerash is a city built by the Romans around the time that they took over Petra. It's large as it is, but only an estimated 6% is excavated. Emperor Hadrian was responsible for a lot of the construction and there are about 6 churches, 3 theaters, a hippodrome, a cathedral, a mosque and several temples unearthed today. Excavation is ongoing and may take many decades to finish -- occupied homes are covering many of the ruins. It's big downfall appears to be a series of big earthquakes that have occurred over the centuries. Earthquakes are thought to be the downfall of Petra as well. While they're excavating and even rebuilding many of the structures in Jerash, I can't help but wonder what happens when they get another earthquake?

It was a little strange walking through this city. It looks so much like many of the Roman ruins that I've visited (Rome, Pompei, Villa Hadriana, etc.), but so different at the same time. What do I mean by that? Well the architecture is very much the same from other Roman ruins, but it's all made of sandstone and limestone. What I've seen in Italy is marble and granite. Kind of like looking at Merlin before and after her mega paint job (sorry everyone -- that's a reference that only the sailors will get). Also note that the Jordanians say that this is the "best preserved" Roman city in the world. I disagree. Pompei has this beat any day. But if they keep rebuilding it, who knows?

I'm going out with the "original 5" tonight. We're the group that met in Jordan and traveled to Aqaba together before the folks from Egypt joined us. Screw Ramadan, I think we'll be drinking tonight! I'm really going to miss these folks -- they've been incredibly nice to me despite the age difference and the fact that I'm a crass American. I'm going to miss them all.

Tomorrow I fly to Cairo. I signed up for a low budget tour which includes a felucca ride from Aswan to Luxor, so that ought to be fun. And most likely have some younger folks on it. The tour people will be meeting me at the airport, taking me through immigration, and transporting me to the hotel. On Sunday, I should see the pyramids!

Until I find wifi again ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Susie-- no problem on the airport pick up on 10/18 and no gift required. You've done plenty for us in the past. Enjoy the rest of the journey and come home safely.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.