Sunday, September 28, 2008

Off to Cairo


Well, I got on the little minibus to go to both Karnak and Luxor Temples, the main attractions of the East Bank. Karnak Temple is huge and has been built up by many different people over the years. There's even a mosque in the complex. It's also been hit by floods and earthquakes over the years, so there's a lot of reconstruction going on. The obliesks were particularly impressive as well as the row of sphyxs as you enter. One even looked a lot like a particular Star Wars character.


Karnak Temple 058
Originally uploaded by susiebarber
After we were off to Luxor Temple, which is much smaller and supposedly not very impressive. There were three guys from Toronto on the bus who saw the Temple yesterday. Suddenly I was outvoted and didn't get to go inside. Instead I got to shoot a few photos outside next to the McDonalds. When I tried to walk around a bit, the bus driver honked and yelled until I came back. I was then ushered into Micky Ds and told that it would be my only chance to eat before the train. I haven't had McDs in about 10 years and all I could think of was a t-shirt I saw in Pokhara -- it had the golden arches across it with "McShit" written under. I did succumb and ordered a McArabia which came with fries and a drink. Now I don't feel so good.

Anyway, we get back to the hotel with our take out and I'm expecting to leave immediately for the train station with my food in hand. No such luck -- I have a few hours. I could have eaten good food. Back to Cairo tonight!

No comments: