Thursday, September 18, 2008

Nearly Done with Jordan


The Dead Sea
Originally uploaded by susiebarber
Today we left Petra and came back to Jordan via a few stops along the way. The first stop was Shobak Castle, a crusader castle high upon a hill north of Petra. A lot of excavation is underway, but we were able to see a church, some of the rooms with slits for shooting arrows and the escape tunnels out of the castle.

After a bit of shopping at a Dana Nature Reserve, where we watched women making jewelry and other crafts, we drove up to Mt. Nebo. This is the spot where Moses is to have seen the "Promised Land". It was a bit of a hazy day, but we could kind of see the Dead Sea, Jericho, and the Jordan Valley. If the day had been clearer, we could have seen Jerusalem. Unfortunately the churches on top are all being excavated, so we didn't go in and get to the very top.

After some more shopping (did I mention that I was on a tour bus?), we went to the Dead Sea. This is the lowest point on earth and has very high salinity. When I got in, I sat there bobbing like a cork. I kid you not. I put both hands and feet in the air and just sat. I couldn't sink if I tried. But that was salty water. We all paid 1JD to use a bucket of Dead Sea mud. We rubbed it all over our bodies and sat in the sun to let it dry for 10 minutes. After, we washed it off in the sea. It truly leaves your skin incredibly soft -- I was a little surprised. Oh, and I was the idiot that put it on above eye level, so when rinsing, I got that damned salty water in my eyes. I can't tell you how much it burned. I made it back to my stuff and managed to pour fresh water over the for a few minutes so that I could see again. Definitely not recommended.

We are now back in Amman at the same Days Inn that we started at. This is the same Days Inn that was bombed in 2005, by the way. We have to have our things searched and walk through a metal detector each time we enter. It's kind of a pain, but probably worth it. Tomorrow we go to see Jerash, the best preserved Roman city in the world. On Saturday, I fly to Cairo.

While I'm talking about flying, I have a favor to ask. Exactly one month from today, I arrive back at SFO. Is there any one out there willing to pick me up at the airport? Here's the details: British Airways flight 285, arriving at SFO at 2:15 pm on Saturday, October 18. I'll need to go through baggage claim and customs, so that'll probably take an hour or so. Anyone willing to come get me and take me to my house gets a special gift from one of 6 countries! Any takers?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susie - I can give you a ride that day if you need it. And I'd just like to tell you how much I'm enjoying you're traveling tales.

Susie said...

Hi Patti -- I didn't even know you were following along! How's things?

Anonymous said...

Everything is mostly doing well cept for mom fell and broke her hip but she is slowly recovering. Sure have been following and also a bit concerned about you. I know you are one tough cookie though.

Susie said...

I'm fine - don't worry. But I have realized that there's a difference between traveling and a vacation. Thailand was a vacation, the rest is not. If you're serious about the airport, I'd love the ride. I'll bring you something nice ...