Saturday, September 13, 2008

Greetings from the Arabian Peninsula

I'm currently on a short layover in Doha, Qatar. We're really not in Asia any more. As far as you can see, it's just flat with a lot of sand. I'm one of the few women in the airport not covering my face and the men in full-on Arab gear are everywhere. It's currently Ramadan, which means no eating or drinking during daylight, so no food or drink for me for a bit. Oh yeah, and the flight pattern thing on the screen during the flight always showed the direction and distance to Mecca. Definitely different for me.

Leaving Kathmandu was pretty sad. As we took off, I could actually see the mountains and I even saw Everest again briefly. We followed the range for a bit before crossing India and then Pakistan. Can you believe that I never saw a plant when flying over Pakistan? Not a single piece of vegetation. Just dry, arid, rocky land. And as we crossed the Persian Gulf and neared Doha, you could see some of those funky man-made islands and a lot of sky scrapers. Interesting place. But their calling us to the shuttle bus to take us to the next plane. Later.

2 comments:

Ippoc Amic said...

Not eating during daylight seems like it would be hard

Susie said...

Restaurants are still open, so no worries. But I may just give the fast thing a try -- just out of respect. It doesn't seem right to have folks that are not eating cook and serve food to me.