Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Briefly Back in Cairo


Cairo 013
Originally uploaded by susiebarber
Sorry for the lack of update, but internet access at this hotel is sketchy at best and I can't seem to upload any photos. Yesterday morning I arrived in Cairo (and not too far behind schedule -- pretty good for Egyptian trains) and was taken to the hotel. On the way to the hotel, I was told that I had a tour guide waiting for me to take me around Cairo. Damn. I really wanted to take a nap. Anyway, I took a quick shower and then we were off.

Our first stop was a whirlwind tour of the Egyptian Museum. I had already told him that I planned to spend an entire day there, so he gave me the overview and walked me around so that I was well oriented for when I came back. Then we were off to Old Cairo. This area is also called Babylon and has many, many old Christian churches and one that is now converted to a synagogue. We went inside the "Hanging Church", which is built over some old pilings of Babylon (which you can see through some glass in the floor), a church under which Jesus, Mary and Joseph are said to have hid when in exile in Egypt, and a synagogue which is converted from a medieval church and was also once a mosque. Unfortunately, no photos allowed inside the buildings. No big surprise there.

We then went off to the citadel, passing the area where a rock slide recently destroyed some homes and killed some people. Besides beautiful views of all of Cairo (and pyramids in the distance), there are two significant mosques. One is from about 1500 years ago and is a very good representation of early mosque design. The other is the mosque of Mohammad Ali, also known as the alabaster mosque. Amazingly, they allow visitors and even allow photos on the inside. How nice is that? They have very large capes available for women that they do not consider appropriately dressed, but I was allowed in as I was dressed. Everyone was very welcoming and even spent time explaining their religion to me and the significance of Ramadan. I had already read all of this, but it was nice to hear it from the folks running the mosques. The interiors are extremely beautiful, but very open with little furniture. I took the best pictures I could in the light, so be sure to have a look.

Back at my hotel, I spoke with my tour operator. He can see how tired I am, so he's sending me off to Alexandria this morning for a little R&R. I'm spending two nights and then will come back to Cairo for my final 3. I'll have an entire day at the Egyptian Museum (YES!), a day with a car to take me back to Giza and Saqarra, and a day to do the usual -- laundry, send what I don't need home, and buy shampoo, etc. that I will need for Tanzania. I'm at the 2.5 week mark until I get back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe! How fast time has gone by!! So glad you got to do this! E