Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Back in Kathmandu

Well, after a 7.5 hour bus ride through very windy, steep mountain roads, I'm back in Kathmandu. While sorting out my ticket this morning, I looked up and had my breath taken away. Far more of the mountains were visible than ever before. Snow capped Himalayan peaks towered overhead and it was nothing short of spectacular. They sort of looked like they had been painted above us. I've seen the Sierra Nevadas, the Cascades, the Rockies, the mountains in Alaska, the Alps and the Dolomites, but none come close to this spectacular. I don't think I'm exaggerating. I wish that I had pictures, but I had to board the bus and we took off before I had time to get the camera out of the bag. And then I was on the wrong side of the bus on very bumpy roads for over 30 minutes before the clouds came in. No photos came out. Shit. But at least I finally saw what I came here for. I'm just so disappointed that I arrived with that nasty cold and then got sick in Pokhara. I really want to come back and do some treking sometime -- I just haven't done this place justice.

By the way, before I left on this journey, I read that Nepal has the highest percentage of return visitors than any other country in the world. It's obvious to me why. Between the stunning scenery, the very kind and smiley people, and the amazing culture, there's little not to love. And where else can you travel to and go treking, white water rafting, mountain biking, paragliding, hang with monks at a monestary and just plain relax all in the same week?

I still have 2 days to get my ducks in a row (laundry, stock up on shampoo, conditioner, replace my broken sunglasses, and mail purchases home) before I leave Asia and head to the Middle East. I must be crazy to be leaving this place for the hot desert.

No comments: