Monday, August 4, 2008

What a Difference a Day Makes


While yesterday was wet and miserable, today is clear and beautiful. This is a fairly small place, so easy to scope out in a few hours. I am going to stay an extra night, though, ‘cause I booked me a day long excursion tomorrow. I’ll write all about it when I get back. The following day I’ll leave, but I’m still trying to decide to where. My plane doesn’t leave until the 12th, so I still have some time in this country.

After a wonderful fruit breakfast at the hotel’s restaurant overlooking the water, I set off to meander. My first stop were the caves that I passed yesterday. They’re phenomenal. It didn’t take long to realize that there’s caves everywhere around here and that I shouldn’t have paid 40B (about $1.25) to go in the big one. Anyway, I eventually found my way down a path to another beach. This one was beautiful as expected. But as I was standing there taking pictures, I heard a noise right above me. I looked up and there I saw my first monkey. Then looking around I saw many more. They were all over the trees as well as climbing the cliffs. I smiled from ear to ear and the one near me showed all of his teeth. Missed the picture, though.

On my way back, I saw it: the path up to the viewpoint and lagoon. It’s only 300 meters up, not quite verticle, with a rope to help pull yourself up and keep you from falling coming down. I thought about it, I really did. And I even started up part way. But between my knee and my flip flops, it just wasn’t going to happen. I met some 20 somethings who were comiing down and they didn’t make it up either. Somehow I don’t feel so bad, but I would love to see it. The few people that I’ve met that made it say it’s absolutely beautiful. Oh well.

Now I’m just lounging around the pool, browsing the web and reading. After all these days of salt water, fresh water feels really good.

More tomorrow …

2 comments:

dolffun said...

Hi Susie,
So glad to read that you are having a wonderful time in Thailand. Krabi sounds as beautiful now as it was when I was there in 1972. Ko Phi Phi is one of my favorite places in the world. The pictures of you riding the elephant are fun.

I'm glad that you like the Thai people and their respectful culture. Sanook, sabay, saduak!

Bai Tiaw Keng! (Translation: You travel for fun very well....)

Beth

Susie said...

Beth, don't ever go back to Phi Phi Lei. They destroyed the place in the tsunami rebuilding. Of course, if you like Cancun during spring break, then it's for you.