Sunday, August 3, 2008

Railay Beach

So yesterday was a bit of a nightmare. After being rushed onto the ferry to Krabi, things just got worse – mostly because of the weather. Now realize that I’m here during the “rainy” season. So far, this has meant a short rain storm a day, usually at night and some cloudy days. Not a single storm has effected my plans and the clouds have been a nice respite from the hot sun. Yesterday was the exception.

When I left Phi Phi, it was partially cloudy. On the ferry over, there were moments of searing sun that was way too hot. But as we arrived at the pier, I saw some big black clouds coming our direction. The guy at the accommodations desk at the pier wasn’t really listening to me. I told him that I was interested in coming to Railay, but if it meant getting into a longtail, I’d rather go somewhere else until the weather was better. He just wouldn’t listen. Before I knew it, he had booked me at Railay View Point Resort. I said that I wanted to stay in Ao Nang because of the weather and go to Railay tomorrow, but it was already too late. So I got put in a cab and taken to Ao Nang to catch a longtail. I asked if we could leave immediately (the clouds were much closer), but I waited on the beach for about 30 minutes. Just as we boarded the longtail (and note that you have to wade out and then climb over the side to get in), it started raining. They threw my big bag up front. I went forward to put the tarp over the bag, since the waves were kicking up, but they took the tarp off. By the time we got to Railay, it was pouring. Torrentially.

They tossed my big bag on shore and took off without telling me where to go. I asked around and found out that I was dropped off on the wrong beach. Yep. At high tide, the only way to get from west to east Railay is to either take a boat, or walk up and over a path that goes up , up, up, past some caves and then down, down, down. About 20 minutes when dragging a bag. Some of the path is not paved, which makes it all harder. After two wrong turns and meandering through a little village of locals, I finally found it. I was drenched from head to toe and both of my bags (a Timbuk2 bike messenger bag and my large duffle on wheels) were toally soaked. All of us were covered in sand. It sucked. But, I have to say, this place is beautiful. I’m in a gorgeous bungalow up the hill overlooking the bay and the swimming pool. There’s lots of good restaurants, just the right amount of bars, small markets and lots of rock climbing shops. It’s still touristy, but much less so than any place else I’ve been. We are surrounded by cliffs and caves and climbing is very popular here. In fact, they had a couple of cliffs illuminated last night for climbing. It was beautiful to watch from a balcony restaurant.

I stayed low yesterday, de-sanding, drying off, getting laundry done, catching up on the net, and napping. Today, I’m going to explore some caves and try to extend my stay another night (otherwise tonight would be my last here). Since I lost most of yesteray, I want another day to check everything out and decide where to go next.

By the way, worry not. The bombings in the “tourist” areas of Thailand were down in the deep south near Malaysia. It’s heavily Muslim down there and violence is not uncommon. I’m nowhere near that area. Even if I were, all bombings took place at 7/11s and I don’t go to those. Oh, and an added note – Railay is the first place I’ve been with no 7/11s. Finally!

Pictures later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susie,
Sounds like a great adventure. Mind if I send your blog site to a friend who's been to Thailand many times? Patti

Susie said...

Go right ahead -- the more the merrier.