Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kathmandu is the Best!

So I arrived in Kathmandu and after a confusing time getting my visa (it wasn't clear which of 3 counters you go to in what order), I went over to the accommodations desk. They took me to this guest house in the heart of the city. The room is large, very plain, but exceptionally clean. It's all brand new. I have TV, but no AC. That doesn't matter because it's actually pretty nice here and it cools way down at night. Cost? $10/night. Seriously. The place is run by this wonderful Napali woman who is the nicest person ever. She walked me around the hood and introduced me around and dropped me off here at an internet cafe so that I could write to you all. Don't be expecting much for pictures, though. I haven't found a place to plug my laptop in and so far, all the computers (running Windows 2000 mind you) have floppy drives and no CDROM drives, so I can't burn a CD and upload photos. I'll keep working on that.

Everyone here smiles and is friendly. A rickshaw driver asked if I wanted a ride and when I said no, that I'd like to walk, he smiled and said that walking is good. What a contrast from India! I feel completely safe here and completely love the atmosphere. I can't wait to explore tomorrow after I get back from the airport.

Oh yeah -- why am I going to the airport? I'm splurging. The owner of my guest house helped me get signed up for a short sunrise flight over the Himalayas tomorrow morning. I have to get up early, but I should be able to see the sunrise over Everest and 30 other mountains. How cool is that?

I'll do my best find a way to upload photos for you all. Just know that for the first time since leaving Thailand, I'm feeling calm and at peace. And completely safe. And no one has asked me why I'm not married and a mother (I was asked that by EVERYONE I spoke to in India). I can't stop smiling.

2 comments:

marscat said...

yahoo for kathmandu!

Anonymous said...

I am sooooo jealous of your Everest Sunrise. What a wonderful sidetrip!!