Monday, August 18, 2008

Out of Pushkar


Pushkar 016
Originally uploaded by susiebarber
So after writing yesterday's entry, I meandered around town some more and finally wound up back at my hotel. There was a young Italian couple there with a driver and the four of us drank beer, ate food, and joked around and laughed until very late. How did we get beer in a dry town? Not sure -- the driver brought it.

Today Anand and I left around 9am and drove for 6.5 hours. We're now in Udaipur, but I have a major headache (I think from dehydration), so I'm supposed to be napping until dinner time. He's going to take me to see the sunset over the lake and we'll check out the palace and everything tomorrow.

About the only interesting thing from today were pilgrims marching along the highway. Apparently, there's a major religious festival from Aug 15 - 30 and you are supposed to walk there. There are groups of people walking up to 300 kilometers to this thing. Each group has a flag bearer and there are many mass tents along the way for them to rest and get fed. It was quite a site. I have a couple of pictures on flickr. In the meantime, check out the pink cow.

More tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's headache central over here near your home town as well, with showers t-storms and migraines a plenty. Knowing this will only make you more happy to be adventuring as you are. I'm living vicariously through you. Hope you feel better soon!

E

dolffun said...

Thanks for sharing a picture of Anand. He has a great smile!

Your hotel looks very comfortable. Intersting how it looks plain from the front, and has a lush courtyard.

Here in Palo Alto living vicariously!

Ippoc Amic said...

why is the cow pink?

p.s. we have fri night racing this week...we'll miss you

Susie said...

I have absolutely no idea why the cow is pink. Maybe it's a girl cow ...