Friday, August 8, 2008

The Top

Well I did it. I went back to the Tiger Cave Temple and climbed the stairs (all 1,237 of the) to the top. Let's just say that I'm out of shape. It's been about a month since I've been on a bike and I just have little to no fitness left.

As I started up, I realized that some pitches had extremely steep stairs. they were about 2.5 feet high each and very narrow. That led to some pretty high stepping, but that didn't bother me. Rather, it was my fitness level. There were times when I could hear my heart beating and it was going damned fast. I'm sure that the alarm on my heart rate monitor would have been going ballistic if I had it with me. At the half way up point, I damned near turned around, panting heavily. But then I realized that I had said that I would do this, so I kinda had to. Sort of the way that I made myself do the Maya Bay camping trip even though it was going to rain. Or how I did that first ride at Bella camp in January. I just couldn't lose face by backing out -- I'm stupid stubborn that way.

On the way up, I passed one Thai couple who were struggling. Other than that I saw no one. Not a sole. I know it was early (10:40 am when I started) by Thai standards, but I was shocked that there was no one else. In fact, there was no one else at the top and no one made it up before I left the top. I have to say, it was pretty wonderful having the top all to myself. And bless those monks -- they had cups and free drinkable water at the top for everyone. You just gotta love them.

The views were absolutely fantastic. You could see everything from plantations, to mountains, to the river deltas to the Adaman Sea. Absolutely phenomenal. I left a donation (there's no entry fee and donations are the only way that the monks get by), lit a candle, put my shoes back on and headed back down.

On the way down, I passed 9 people, only 3 of which were westerners. The rest were Thais doing a bit of a pilgrimage. I tried to be as encouraging as I could, but I was drenched in sweat at that point and probably looked like hell. But it was so much easier and for that I'm forever thankful. My heart rate was back to normal and I was feeling pretty OK. At the bottom, my cab driver took a picture of me -- my quads were trembling, but you can't tell in the photo.

All in all, I'm glad that I did it. But I'd rather do intervals up Jamieson Creek road any day. So much easier.

I've showered and am heading out for lunch. Then I'll take a nap and find a good bar to watch the Olympics at. We're only 1 hour ahead of Beijing, so we get to see everything live. If I could only get rid of my stupid stubborn streak!

4 comments:

marscat said...

couldn't you just take the elevator?

Susie said...

If only there was one!

Unknown said...

Beautiful beautiful view from the top. I bet your glad you went back and took your camera.

Susie said...

I am, but my calves and quads are not. I may need another massage today (they're about $8 for an hour).