Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Transition Day

This morning I left Railay Beach. It was almost as much of an ordeal as my arrival. Tide was low (good), but I had to get my heavy bag across a lot of sand to get to the path across the peninsula so that I could catch the longtail back to Ao Nang. Once again, I had to wade out into the water with my bags and get them into the boat without getting anything wet. It's not an easy task. Worse yet is climbing into the boat when it's pitching in the waves. I have to admit that I have a few cuts and scrapes on my ankles from doing this so often over the past week. Oh, and arriving is almost worse. You jump into the water and then half climb back in to get your stuff. Anyway, I arrived.

So I decided to go back to Ao Nang Beach Home, which is the place that I stayed at when I first arrived in the Krabi area. While in town, it's down a long alley from the main street and very quiet. I literally go out my sliding door, step onto the path and in about 30 yards I'm walking down the stairs to the beach. The rooms are very big and beautiful, it only costs 1,000B/night, and I have free, unlimited wifi access from my room. This is not only the cheapest place that I've stayed, but the nicest and I'm not paying for internet access any more. Giant plus!

Basically, today was all about getting some things taken care of: laundry, planning the rest of my excursions, and working on itinerary, train tickets and hotel rooms for India. I had a wonderful dinner at the Beach Home's restaurant on the deck overlooking the beach. The sunset was gorgeous and the food, as always, was fantastic. They were so happy that I've come back (and sent some fellow travelers their way), that they brought me a free appetizer and beer. Gotta love that!

I've got some inland stuff planned for tomorrow, so stay tuned.

3 comments:

marscat said...

just curious -- how do you find your hotel rooms in India??

Unknown said...

What a beautiful place to stay.
How much is it in dollars?

Susie said...

I'm reading a guide book and searching the web for the India stuff. The trains are the hardest part to figure out.

It's 34B to the dollar, so it's just under $30 a night.