Friday, August 8, 2008

I Love the Olympics


There's just something about it that I get glued to whenever it's on. So tonight I decided to watch from one of the bars in town. O'Malley's has a projection TV with a ginormous screen, so I headed there. Grandma would have been proud (she was an O'Malley until she married my grandfather).

Anyway, there we all were: Ausies, Brits, Swedes, Romanians, French and the Thais. We all had to watch it with Thai commentary, but that's OK. When in Rome and all. We watched the whole thing live and with no commercial interruptions. We cheered for everyone, but the loudest was for the Thais. When we saw them coming, we grabbed the cook out of the kitchen, stopped the folks behind the bar and waiting tables and all cheered and toasted. It was all a ton of fun. Lots of food and drink was consumed by all.

The drawback: live coverage with no commercials and no editing means 4.5 hours of opening ceremony. They didn't finish until 12:20am Beijing time and 11:20pm our time. I understand why so many athletes skip this.

And for those of you who only want to watch a bit of it -- the best part was the drummers just before the start of the ceremony.

Now let's hope that I can watch the road race tomorrow!

2 comments:

Ippoc Amic said...

lucky you...I hope you get to watch the road race and TTs live w/o commercials...congrats on your climb too.

Anonymous said...

how fun to watch the olympics during your around the world travels!