Thursday, July 31, 2008

As Good As It Gets


Phi Phi 020
Originally uploaded by susiebarber
So after a pretty loud, rough night in little Cancun, I set out this morning to figure out an alternative. I walked through town and found a guy with a recommendation and then hoofed it back to demand a refund for my last 2 nights. The hotel desk was uncooperative, of course. I made a quick call to the booking agent in Krabi and she took care of it. I packed up my stuff, went back to the guy, booked my bungalow, and boarded the longtail.

I’m at Phi Phi Relax Resort for 2 nights. It’s on a secluded beach about 15 minutes by boat from town. There’s a coral reef just off shore, kayaks, snorkeling gear, and plenty of beach chairs and hammocks. This place is a slice of heaven! After eating a delicious seafood salad for lunch, I spent the afternoon in a shaded hammock alternating between swimming, sleeping and reading. Everyone here is very low key and spent the day doing much of the same as myself.

At about 5:00, the staff started a volleyball game on the beach and recruited as many guests as they could. The rest of us sat around watching, drinking from the cooler of beer, water and sodas that they put out. After the game, the staff went and took showers. When they returned, the restaurant and bar opened full-force and we’ve all been having a good time together.

Note that internet access is only between the hours of 6pm and 12am because that’s when we have electricity. Also, no wifi – they just let us bring our laptops down to the office off the restaurant and plug right in. So don’t expect a lot of updates until I’m back in spring break hell.

Tomorrow’s big dilema will be deciding between a beach chair or hammock. As it should be!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

now you're talking!

marscat said...

yeah! good for you for getting our of little cancun.

and you're making it hard for me to sit here and work.

Ippoc Amic said...

drink a mai tai for us