Saturday, July 26, 2008

From the Airport

Still no internet connection at the airport, so this will be posted later. But after my day around Bangkok yesterday, I ate some prawn pad tai and went to bed at around 6pm local time. Of course, I was up at 3:15am unable to sleep further. That’s OK. My flight wasn’t until 8am and this gave me time to organize photos from yesterday and get them ready to post. Of course, the internet connection was still broken from the hotel to the outside world.

Just before 6, I went to the lobby to find an Aussie couple getting a cab for another flight at the same time. We shared the cab to the airport and the exhaustion started setting in again. I must have looked like hell at the ticket window, because the ticket lady gave me a sad smile instead of the usual Thai happy smile. I smiled and bowed respectfully and handed her my itinerary. I had to flip back a couple of pages to find this morning’s flight. Her eyes bugged and she got on the phone. After a few, she popped out a ticket and told me that I’ve been upgraded to business class. I know it’s only an hour flight, but how nice! That just made my day, especially since I have yet to book a room in Krabi (did I mention no internet access?).

Anyway, I’m excited to be going to paradise and I’ll be there until August 12th. Plenty of time to catch up on my sleep, my reading, my trip planning, and feed the soul. Yeah!

Also, it’s worth noting that if you respect the culture and smile a lot, you are well taken care of in Bangkok. Thai women cover their shoulders and wear pants and skirts that cover the knee (even just a little). The women running around in short shorts, short skirts and spaghetti strap stops with bra straps showing are basically ignored (have I mentioned the Hello Kitty Japanese?) and treated a little rudely. I’ve been dressing according to the culture, smiling at everyone I make eye contact with, and doing the short bow with hands in prayer position whenever I speak with someone. So far that’s gotten me a tuk tuk escourt around the city, offer for a huge discount for a custom tailored thai silk dress (yes, I succumbed), a free bottle of water outside the Royal Palace, permission to share a long tail through the city (others were asking and getting denied), and yes, an upgrade to business class. I love this place …

No comments: