Saturday, July 26, 2008

What I wrote this morning when the Internet access was down


So the second Cathay Pacific flight was fantastic and totally redeemed them. The plane was clean, the ventilation worked, the bathrooms were great, and no Nimrod!

I arrived in Bangkok just before midnight local time (about 24 hours after I in transit to SFO). We landed during a lightening storm and it was absolutely beautiful to watch. Yeah, I guess I was too tired to be scared. Immigration went fast, my bag arrived and the taxi stand helped me pre-pay for a cab to get me to the hotel. As the driver was putting my bag in the trunk, I went to go sit shotgun up front. Ooops. The steering wheel is on the right hand side of the car. I guess I missed that bit when scanning through the guidebooks. Easy to do since I was mostly focused on the beaches and islands stuff. Anyway, we breeze through the city via 2 toll roads and street signs that I cannot read to save my life. In my exhausted state I realized that it's a damned good thing I didn't bring a bike. Between the driving on the wrong side of the road and my inability to read any signs, I'd do all sorts of stupid here.

Anyway, I've had 4 hours of sleep now and I can't seem to get any more. I think I'll give it one more go and then head out to a bank to cash some travelers checks and go see the Royal Palace. The photo was taken a couple of minutes ago from my hotel room window.

4 comments:

Ippoc Amic said...

is Bangkok still smoggy? don't forget to ride in one of the tuk tuks but just a short ride cuz they are a bit dangerous

Velo Bella said...

there's no photo...

tuk tuk!

Susie said...

Internet access went out before I added the photo. Look for a few posts and photos now.

Susie said...

Oh and not smoggy. There was a nice breeze and it had rained the night before. It was nicely overcast until mid-afternoon and then the sun got way too hot.