Monday, July 28, 2008

Lazy Day


Krabi 038
Originally uploaded by susiebarber
As I said earlier, I woke up at 3:00am and took a walk on the beach just after dawn. I meandered around until the restaurants started opening and then had breakfast. I hadn't eaten since around noon yesterday (due to falling asleep and not waking up for dinner), so I hit the buffet at my hotel. Yummy!

Afterwards, I started walking north, just trying to scope out the town. Well, I kept going and before I knew it, I was at Nopparat Thara National Park. It's the gateway to the Phi Phi islands. Anyway, I started getting light headed so I bought some water, sat down and saw a sign for the Tsunmi Memorial Sculpture. That's what the picture is. It's absolutely beautiful, but so sad at the same time. Go through my photos and you'll also see tsunami evacuatation signs (everywhere in Krabi), a tsunami warning tower, and signs of the damage that still hasn't been repaired.

Anyway, I walked back, uploaded photos, had some lunch, read some of a book that I started months ago and never finished, and took a nap. It took me forever to fall asleep -- not sure why. But I woke up at sunset, strolled through town and just observed. This place is a bit different at night. Everything is open and everyone wants you to buy something from them.

I really wasn't hungry for dinner so I had a scoop of ice cream and later grabbed a beer and sat on the beach for a bit. I'm now back in my room ready to go to sleep again. Hopefully the beer will help me get to sleep faster this time.

I love lazy days.

5 comments:

marscat said...

sounds like a lovely day and that is a sad but pretty memorial

Sweet Cheeks said...

beautiful sculpture. thanks.

Ippoc Amic said...

If you need a change of scenery, but it might be too far, try the overnight train to Chaing Mai. They have some night markets. I had taken the train from Bangkok. Glad you saw the floating markets. They are cool.

What a poignant sculpture.

Anonymous said...

wow, lots of cool things. surprised me to see businesses signs in English. Grandma would be proud that the O'malley name is there...I think LOL

Susie said...

It's about 20 hours from here to Chaing Mai and it's way too hot to go that far inland. That's why this is the low season.