Thursday, October 16, 2008

My last day in Africa


Today we drove to Tanguire National Park, stopping along the way at a Massai women's development center. There was no hard sell there. They showed us how they make their handicrafts and let us meander around the goods at our leisure. We got to play with the children and there was absolutely no hassle. The prices were the best we've seen, so we didn't even try to haggle with them. After, they sang us a song, posed for pictures with us and did a traditional dance. During the dance, they threw a collar around my neck and pulled me in to dance with them. After, they put their arms around me and all gave me a giant hug. LOVED IT!

We then drove through the park to the lodge, and saw all kinds of animals, but mostly things we have seen before. Tomorrow we head back to Arusha and I get put on my plane to Nairobi. Then it's 7 hours of hanging out at that airport before the long flight to London, another 5 hours sitting at Heathrow, and then the flight to SFO.

As ready as I've been to come home for a while now, I have to say that I am really sad to leave Africa. If I had it all to do over again, I would spend much more time here and I definitely plan on coming back.

Internet access here is $20/hr, so I only bought 15 minutes. I'll post pictures and longer thoughts (there's a lot going through my head right now) at one of the airports. See you soon.

2 comments:

teamwelliver said...

awww, i'm sad you're leaving africa, too. your journey is almost all done. boo.

marscat said...

have a safe trip...see you at surf city