Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Lazy Day


Tanzania 036
Originally uploaded by susiebarber
I had originally planned on a little excursion today, but it fell through. For a few measly dollars, they will take you on a boat to this area in the Ocean that’s loaded with very friendly dolphins. You get to feed them and then swim with them! I thought, “well, I’ve ridden elephants, camels, mules and a felucca on this trip, why not swim with dolphins?” And I knew that Beth (Guislin, not Welliver) would be so proud! But last night at 9:30 I was told that they found no one else interested in the trip today, so they had to cancel on me. There’s folks going tomorrow, but I’m scheduled to leave in the morning for Stone Town. Bummer. Instead I went on the consolation trip – snorkeling.

So after breakfast, I hopped on a boat with about 10 Italians, none of whom spoke English. Fun. Anyway, we were taken to an area to do an hour or so of snorkeling. There were lots and lots of different kinds of coral, but everything was pretty much khaki colored. It’s a bit disappointing, but I guess after the Blue Hole in Belize, everything seems bland. There were some very pretty colored fish. Lots of midnight blue angel fish, these black and white striped zebra fish, gold fish, barracuda, and every color of snapper you can imagine. And I found Nemo.

When we arrived back at the beach, I laid down on a cot for a bit and slept through lunch. Oh well. When I woke up I realized one of the biggest problems with traveling alone, especially to beaches: no one to put sunscreen on your back or tell you when you are starting to burn. And then it was time for my scheduled massage. Oops! Actually, she used some really good oil/lotion that soothed the burn and the message didn’t really hurt much.

Tomorrow I’m driven back to Stone Town to spend a night in a place that Stanley Livingston used to live in. I’ll meander around a bit and hopefully visit the place where they used to process slaves leaving Tanzania. A bit depressing, I know, but I think it’s good to see these things and remind yourself of the things we should never allow to happen again. I hope it’s not as bad as Dachau – I cried my eyes out that day.

I have one question for all of you and I hope that someone can explain. I first asked this question in Thailand and then again at the Red Sea and the Dead Sea: Why do overweight, old, European men have to wear Speedos? I just don’t get it. It’s not attractive and really should be against the law. Can anyone explain? Ornella? Thank you in advance for a good explanation.

2 comments:

marscat said...

Why do overweight, old, European men have to wear Speedos?

because they're clueless -- but now i'd like to talk about energy issues.

Anonymous said...

same reason overweight women wear those low cut jeans with their rolls hanging out. they think they're all that...NOT! Nothing like guarding lap swim with a 50+ year old in a faded stretched out speedo strutting down the deck. not hot