Monday, November 10, 2008

Crossroads

One of the reasons that I took my epic tripwas to take some time to assess my life and figure out what I want to do from here. I hadn't been happy for a while and my manager had been making my life a living hell. I've been schlepping through the hell that is Silicon Valley for 10 years and was tired of the constant flux and companies getting bought and sold. I've personally worked at 3 companies that have been bought since 2004.

So what did I figure out? Absolutely nothing. I'm not sure if I was just too busy trying to get around, having fun and staying safe, or if I was just avoiding dealing with all of this. All I know is that I'm running out of projects around the house and am starting to get a bit bored. I am signed up for an orientation with Cabrillo's Fast Track program, where the assess your skills and interests and hopefully train you for a new profession. But that's not for another week or so. And there's no guarantee that they'll be able to help me out. Since I've returned, I've had calls from recruiters, but they're for more of what was making me miserable.

So what's a girl to do? Ride her bike? Been doing that. One friend suggested getting off my ass and trying the online dating thing, but I just couldn't figure out what to say on a profile. Volunteer her time toward a good cause? I need to find another cause (I did shuttle old folks to the polls on election day). Or just something that I like doing.

Any suggestions?

5 comments:

teamwelliver said...

i have no ideas to help you out. I feel like i'm always trying to figure out what i want to do with my life. and then I do nothing about it. Good luck with the search! I'm sure you'll find something lovely that will make you happy.

Anonymous said...

I totally understand what you're going through. All I can say is pick something you love to do and figure a way to make it your job. Suggestions; biking-start a biking tour of the wine country(with your web skills I bet you could find a way to market that), following your travel blog I realized how good you are at it-maybe travel writing is your thing. Whatever it is, I wish you luck. I seem to have bashed my way through life doing the high tech thing to pay for the thing I love to do and suffered the consiquences of the work to do it. Want to dog sit?

marscat said...

travel writing!

Susie said...

I can dog sit! That would be fun. I'll send you an email.

chatterbox said...

Maybe you're just not ready yet. Don't be afraid to wait if you have the means.

There are two strategies that I've employed at different times:

1. Do something that pays the bills and is well-constrained to 40 hours or less per week and then pursue your passions on the site.

2. Find something you love and make it a job (copying Patti).

I've been doing #1 for about 10 years now moving more and more toward the "well-constrained" idea and am inching closer to #2 with my next move (details coming soon!).