Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Fantastic Night


population world map
Originally uploaded by upyernoz
I'm sitting here absolutely ecstatic about the election results for President, the Senate, and House of Representatives, but I'm anxious and worried about Proposition 8.

Having recently finished a 3 month mid-life crisis, bucket list, "learn how the other half lives" trip around the world, I couldn't help but want to find out what they're all saying in far away lands. So this gal with a BA in Politics with an emphasis in International Relations went searching on the internet for the past hour or so. Interestingly, Al Jazeera's English web server was down for most of that time, but it's now up and they have a great play by play of tonight's events interspersed with reactions from around the world here.

My favorite quote from the article:

Al Jazeera's Yvonne Ndege in Kenya, reports that "the level of excitement is absolutely unbelievable. Many of these villagers have been sitting here for 15 hours watching international television news in a language they barely understand. That excitement is felt across the region.

"There's also a huge sense of pride, because Obama’s father was born in this village.

"If Obama does win, the local community is planning to slaughter cows and have a barbecue."

Given what I saw on my trip and the conversations that I had with people in Asia, the Middle East and Africa, I know that the world is excited. Personally, I am confident that the world's perception of the US has changed for the better, but it will be interesting to see just how in the days, weeks and months ahead.

No comments: